Re: [E-devel] Evas GL engine patch

On Fri, 29 Dec 2006 10:21:24 +0100 Simon TRENY <simon.treny@free.fr> babbled:

> On Fri, 29 Dec 2006 11:25:28 +0900,
> Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) <raster@rasterman.com> wrote :
>
> > On Sat, 16 Dec 2006 10:57:48 GMT "jose_ogp@juno.com"
> > <jose_ogp@juno.com> babbled:

> > > 	I see... Thanks Simon. Well, even if you think your patch
> > > doesn't put those calls in the 'best' place they could be, if it
> > > solves the current gl drawing problems then I'd vote for applying
> > > it.
> > >
> > > 	Maybe you and rene (aka. centipede) can get together and
> > > see if you guys can do something more for the gl engine... :)
> >
> > i've actually been doing a bit lately. i know a few of the things it
> > needs and as i just found recently - in order to sanely support
> > fragment shaders for yuv->rgb i seem to need a gf6600 - my 5500fs
> > just wont do fragment shaders (at a sane speed - software beats the
> > 5500fx by like 200fps in software vs 0.4fps for gl in my yuv->rgb
> > video surface test).
> >
> > so given this - i'm actually tempted to upgrade the iminimum
> > requirements for gl engines. that is - REQUIRES non-power-of-2
> > textures. (not nv_rectangle - but npo2). requires anisotropic
> > filtering, requires fragment shaders (glsl) etc. i can remove some
> > nasty code to handle only power-of-2 textures for example and for
> > nv_rectangle textures (as the text coords are different for these)
>
> Making the GL engine requires a GLSL card is really too restrictive
> imho, especially since (at least for now) GLSL is only used for
> yuv->rgb conversion, which is only used by Emotion. And this conversion
> can still be easily done in software if there is no GLSL support (we
> already have the code to do it).
> I have personally two GL cards and none of them support GLSL. I know
> that having to handle all the possible hardware configs is a lot of
> pain, but requiring GLSL is definitively too restrictive imho
> (actually even requiring anisotropic filtering is restrictive, it seems
> to be supported only since GeForce3 cards).

the other side of the coin is - look at the evas benchmarks for those old cards
compared to software. evas software is now pulling benchmarks that i was
getting on geforce2 cards years ago with gl. (modern cpu's that is).

right now the gl engine for yuv colorspace support ONLY handles it via shaders.
there is no fallback support.