Re: [E-devel] Custom screensaver to override E's desklock (work in progress)....

On Mon, 18 Dec 2006 23:10:24 -0600 Ravenlock <ravenlock@comcast.net> babbled:

> On 12/18/2006 08:30, Ravenlock wrote:

> >> A slight update.
> >>
> >> The only notable changes:
> >>   1)  I've changed the config dialog to use minutes in stead of seconds.
> >>   2)  Changed the range from 10 min max (600 seconds) to 90 minutes max.
> >>   3)  bumped the E_CONFIG_FILE_GENERATION from 0x105 to 0x106
> >>

> > Final update until/unless there is some feedback.  There may be no
> > interest in this though I find it useful.
> >
> > Notable changes:
> >    1) IPC code in place
> >    2) Fixed memory leak wrt _e_config_free()
> >
> > Regards.
> >

> Ok... really done this time... for now.  I think this will suffice as a
> first shot.  (or is it my forth?)
>
> Either way, this last patch handles the X screensaver a bit better.  I
> think the functionality included in the patch will do what you would
> think it should.
>
> Basically, you now can specify a single application that will respond
> when you
>   - "Lock Screen" from the menu
>   - Use the "Desktop Lock" keybinding
>   - "Enable Screensaver" from the config panel.
>
> So... take a look. Comments welcome.  Please don't forget to get the
> shell script as well (prev post).  I do not keep xscreensaver running..
> I use the script to launch it and shut it down.  Saves a few bytes of
> ram.  Might be useful.
>
> Now, after doing this.  I've come to the conclusion that a much better
> job could be done.  I could build a new configurator for the screensaver
> itself.  Seperate the desklock and the screensaver.  That way in the
> screensaver configuration, you could tweak the actual X screensaver
> settings (timeout, cycletime, blank, expose) as well as DPMS settings.
> And I could create seperate overrides, one for the desklock and one for
> the screensaver.  Just an idea.
>
> But I think what I have now might suffice for a while.
>
> Let me know what you think.

I don't see any problem with this feature :) setting a command is ok- though
what i think would be better is to have .desktop files with the screensaver
commands and then just select from ones (maybe of Type=Screensaver) so you can
pre-package configs for xscreensaver and other screensaver 3rd party apps out
there.