Re: [E-devel] Evas GL engine patch

On Sat, 16 Dec 2006 10:57:48 GMT "jose_ogp@juno.com" <jose_ogp@juno.com>
babbled:

> > >	One thing though.. If one needs to have the 'viewport' and
> > > 'view matrices' set for each rendering pass, then I would say
> > > that this should maybe be done per obj, ie. in the internal
> > > engine render functions of each object... ?? Or does this only
> > > affect the way the gl render buffer gets 'put' on the screen?
> >
> > Yes, changing the GL viewport only affects the place where the
> > whole scene is rendered in the window. You can for example create
> > two viewports if you want to split the screen in 2 parts, like in
> > multiplayer games on game consoles.
>
> 	I see... Thanks Simon. Well, even if you think your patch
> doesn't put those calls in the 'best' place they could be, if it
> solves the current gl drawing problems then I'd vote for applying it.
>
> 	Maybe you and rene (aka. centipede) can get together and
> see if you guys can do something more for the gl engine... :)

i've actually been doing a bit lately. i know a few of the things it needs and
as i just found recently - in order to sanely support fragment shaders for
yuv->rgb i seem to need a gf6600 - my 5500fs just wont do fragment shaders (at
a sane speed - software beats the 5500fx by like 200fps in software vs 0.4fps
for gl in my yuv->rgb video surface test).

so given this - i'm actually tempted to upgrade the iminimum requirements for
gl engines. that is - REQUIRES non-power-of-2 textures. (not nv_rectangle - but
npo2). requires anisotropic filtering, requires fragment shaders (glsl) etc. i
can remove some nasty code to handle only power-of-2 textures for example and
for nv_rectangle textures (as the text coords are different for these)