Re: [E-devel] e17 screen lock

On Tue, Dec 12, 2006 at 03:28:01PM +0100, Nikolas Arend wrote:
> Aleksej Struk wrote:
> > Screen lock uses PAM to check the correctness of the password.
> > E checks if one of the following PAM services exists and then uses it:
> >
> > * login
> > * enlightenment
> > * xscreensaver
> > * kscreensaver
> > * system-auth
> >
> > Maybe that your problem is in PAM configuration
>
> I thought about that too, but it seemed unlikely to me since both xscreensaver-command -lock and xlock work. As far as I remember, KDE's screen locking also works. I have xscreensaver and login in /etc/pam.d/, containing
>
> cat /etc/pam.d/login
> #%PAM-1.0
> auth     required       pam_securetty.so
> auth     include        common-auth
> auth     required       pam_nologin.so
> account  include        common-account
> password include        common-password
> session  include        common-session
> session  required       pam_lastlog.so nowtmp
> session  required       pam_resmgr.so
> session  optional       pam_mail.so standard
>
> cat /etc/pam.d/xscreensaver
> #%PAM-1.0
> auth     include        common-auth
> account  include        common-account
> password include        common-password
> session  include        common-session

Both PAM services that you've listed uses common-auth service. I do
not have such service on my gentoo machine. I suspect thatit is called
system-auth and is configured as follows:

auth       required     pam_env.so
auth       sufficient   pam_unix.so likeauth nullok
auth       required     pam_deny.so

account    required     pam_unix.so

password   required     pam_cracklib.so difok=2 minlen=8 dcredit=2
ocredit=2 retry=3
password   sufficient   pam_unix.so nullok md5 shadow use_authtok
password   required     pam_deny.so

session    required     pam_limits.so
session    required     pam_unix.so

Does your common-auth is similar to that I've listed above ?