Re: [E-devel] e_modules net and wlan fixes

On Wed, Dec 06, 2006 at 03:29:48AM +1000, David Seikel wrote:
> On Fri, 01 Dec 2006 18:32:41 +0100 "Stark, Thomas" <e-devel@st4rk.de>
> wrote:
>
> I eventually want to replace all these system monitoring modules with
> some common code that resembles the way that gkrellm handles graphs.

I would vote for a set of graph views. Some would need to be smart
objects (e.g. one doing amplitude vs time, possibly with multiple graphs on the same chart). Others could be entirely up to the themer. Simply allow a means for the theme to provide different types (each being a separate group) and use messages to pass in the current value of the the measured qty (maybe both as an absolute value, set on a text part e.g "480 MB" and as a percentage "80%"). Then you would just need a set of pluggable 'measurables' (mem, net, wireless signal strength, etc) and a means to connect measurables to view types.

Something like this is what I had in mind when I drew http://rephorm.com/files/old/meter-big.png a few years ago. I had implemented a bit of it, then realized that I don't really have much going on that I need to measure...

But, for all those meter-junkies out there, this would provide something
much nicer and more flexible than gkrellm.

rephorm