Re: [E-devel] Window out of Screen?

On Tue, 5 Dec 2006 19:57:01 +0100 Andreas Volz <lists@brachttal.net> babbled:

> Hi,
>
> it happens often that a app starts and opens his window partial at a
> not visible part of the screen. I ask myself why this happens.
> Shouldn't the windowmanager prevent me from this situation?
>
> Is there a setting to prevent E from doing this or is this a
> bug/feature?
>
> Everytime the same apps that makes trouble. (e.g. TVBrowser; a Java app
> if this info helps you; or porthole -> Gentoo package manager)

e itself will not do this. it's automatic window placement algorithm keeps a
window on screen - always. what you are seeing is a badly behaved app - hell a
java app. when it comes to java apps i wipe my hands clean - java is one of the
most horridly incorrect things in x when it comes to doing the right thing.
tvbrowser is probably asking to be placed there and thus e is doing just what
it asked. as java apps attempt to mimick windows and hack it to work that way
in x - they end up behaving horridly as this isnt windows. this is x. you
actually have a wm - windows does not (apps manage their own windows).

so
1. stop using that java app - it's simply bad. in fact in general just avoid
java apps. awt's x layer is just horrid and wrong (and yes swing goes thru the
awt windowing layer).
2. complain to the tvbrowser author. his app is asking to be placed there. e is
doing just what it is asked to do. if it wasn't asked it would place the app
somewhere it wanted to (NB - if the app does provide enough unique information
like name/class/role etc.
3. you can use e's locks and remember features to 1. lock the app from moving
itself (or resizing), 1. tell e to remember where to put it and size it and e
will then ignore anything the app has asked on startup and simply enforce your
desires as a user.

3 is a workaround for bad/broken apps. it doesn't change the fact that the app
is still "bad". (and yes if you mail the author he will say "it works for me"
likely - and chances are he is using a different wm - and if you read java's
awt code it has DIFFERENT code for DIFFERENT wm's thus java will behave
differently depending on the wm. if it doesn't know what the wm is it will
default to some entirely bogus/stupid defaults that are brain-dead hacks).