Re: [E-devel] e_modules net and wlan fixes

Am Mittwoch, den 06.12.2006, 03:29 +1000 schrieb David Seikel:
> On Fri, 01 Dec 2006 18:32:41 +0100 "Stark, Thomas" <e-devel@st4rk.de>
> wrote:
>
> > attached you will find two patches. One will fix the net module
> > (change of the calculation base, because the unit of ci->max is
> > packets not bytes)
>
> I don't think that your code, or the original code is correct.
You are right. The calculation is totally bogus. Don't know what I
thought when I implemented it. :(

> The net module is trying to show a speedometer bar, so we need to know
> the maximum speed in order to  be able to determine which percentage of
> the maximum speed, and therefore which percentage of the maximum sized
> bar to show.  ci->max is the MTU (Maximum Transfer Unit), which is the
> maximum size a single packet can be, and not at all related to how fast
> those packets travel.  There is no system provided number that you can
> look at to find out the maximum speed of any particular network
> interface, as the speed is likely capped at the ISPs equipment.  The
> best you can do is to either track the fastest speed through the
> interface, or ask the user what speed they are supposed to be getting.
I vote for the solution asking the user which link speed he have. Maybe
we can change the MUT slider to a "scaling factor" slider (from 1 to 100
for example) and multiply the value to the real bytes per second, so you
can adjust the indication amplitude as you wish.

Btw, thanks for looking at my patches.

Bye,
Thomas