Re: [E-devel] e_modules net and wlan fixes

On Wednesday, 06 December 2006, at 03:29:48 (+1000),
David Seikel wrote:

> The net module is trying to show a speedometer bar, so we need to
> know the maximum speed in order to be able to determine which
> percentage of the maximum speed, and therefore which percentage of
> the maximum sized bar to show.  ci->max is the MTU (Maximum Transfer
> Unit), which is the maximum size a single packet can be, and not at
> all related to how fast those packets travel.  There is no system
> provided number that you can look at to find out the maximum speed
> of any particular network interface, as the speed is likely capped
> at the ISPs equipment.  The best you can do is to either track the
> fastest speed through the interface, or ask the user what speed they
> are supposed to be getting.

FWIW, the epplets I wrote kept track of the highest speed they'd seen
while running to use for the "max."  It wasn't perfect, but it was
reasonable.

> I eventually want to replace all these system monitoring modules
> with some common code that resembles the way that gkrellm handles
> graphs.

To be blunt, if people wanted things the way gkrellm did them, they'd
be using gkrellm.

Michael

 "Sometimes it can last Forever, but it seldom ever lasts Forever.
  And we learn just how fast Forever goes."           -- Howard Hewett