Re: [E-devel] e_modules net and wlan fixes

On Fri, 01 Dec 2006 18:32:41 +0100 "Stark, Thomas" <e-devel@st4rk.de>
wrote:

> attached you will find two patches. One will fix the net module
> (change of the calculation base, because the unit of ci->max is
> packets not bytes)

I don't think that your code, or the original code is correct.

The net module is trying to show a speedometer bar, so we need to know
the maximum speed in order to  be able to determine which percentage of
the maximum speed, and therefore which percentage of the maximum sized
bar to show.  ci->max is the MTU (Maximum Transfer Unit), which is the
maximum size a single packet can be, and not at all related to how fast
those packets travel.  There is no system provided number that you can
look at to find out the maximum speed of any particular network
interface, as the speed is likely capped at the ISPs equipment.  The
best you can do is to either track the fastest speed through the
interface, or ask the user what speed they are supposed to be getting.

I eventually want to replace all these system monitoring modules with
some common code that resembles the way that gkrellm handles graphs.

I'm not hearing anyone complain about the net module, so I'll leave
well enough alone for now.

Your other patch was useful though, and I applied part of it.