Re: [E-devel] The exebuf, and asynchronous loading

On Sun, 3 Dec 2006 00:58:19 +0000 Bentejuy <bentejuy@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm writing a small app and I have the same problem; how to get an app
> icon fast. After watching how does e17 handle data and icons in the
> file e_apps.h, I noticed that there is no library I can use to re-use
> that code, because it's very common that app use data from executables
> which are installed. isn't better to create a library type ecore_xxxx
> which offers access to data that e17 obtains from E_App structure ?

We are trying to keep window manager specific things out of ecore, and
all the rest of EFL.  The window manager specific stuff goes into
e17/apps/e, the window manager.  ecore_desktop has the general .desktop
and icon searching code.  While it was mostly written to support
E's needs, I am happy to generalise it further for people.

The way that the .desktop data from ecore_desktop gets into structures
used by e_apps.c will be changing soon, and there will likely be some
other changes made to it.  Not quite ready to call it a stable API just
yet, but it is close.  When the API is more stable, I'll write more
documentation and some examples.

One problem is that e_apps.c and friends were originally written to
use .eap files, and things have slowly morphed from there.
ecore_desktop was also originally written as e17genmenu, and went
through several morphings. There is still bits of cruft floating around
the code base.