Re: [E-devel] E17 in Debian Sid

On Mon, 27 Nov 2006 18:17:11 +0100 Falko Schmidt
<kaethorn@stud.uni-stuttgart.de> babbled:

> On Sat, Nov 25, 2006 at 10:44:59PM +0900, Carsten Haitzler wrote:
> > On Fri, 24 Nov 2006 22:43:03 +0000 Lut!n <lut1n.tne@gmail.com>
> > babbled:

> > ok- some summary.
> >
> > 1. e.org pages have not been updated or maintained because we
> > anticipated a while back moving to a new webserver, website and a need
> > to redo ALL the website. no need to go create content we just need to
> > redo again. this has unfortunately been delayed an taken a lot longer
> > that thought. we are still waiting.
> >
> > 2. packages of e17. e17 is unreleased. we do not encourage you to go
> > put packages in debian or ubuntu - why? you will piss us off as users
> > will just come back to use complaining about bugs or missing features
> > when we are not done. it doesn't matter what policies you have or how
> > many lines of documentation say not to bother us - they will. they
> > will waste our time and patience. we do NOT want e in official debian
> > repositories. it just will mean a tonne of support we already don't
> > have time for.
> >
> > if you want e development to halt - then go ahead. but likely it will
> > mean just that. users are a burden if you are not prepared for them -
> > and we sure as hell are not. they will not be god users and contact
> > debian support mechanisms - they will come back to us.
> >
> > if you want to do packages - put them in a separate apt repository -
> > make it harder to get to. this will minimise the impact.
> >
> I totally agree here. I've got many people using my repository who
> report issues to me directly - which is good - but still many who report
> them in IRC as well. What about a Debian postinst warning telling people
> to stay clear of feature requests and bug reports for packages on my
> repository?
>
> Anyways - I won't urge to put packages in Sid without your approval,
> that's for sure.

cool- as long as you retain a separate apt repo - i think that's where the line
in the sand should be (for now). once e is officially going gold - you are
ready to roll and put into mainline at a moments notice pretty much. that makes
a release cycle fast and simple. as for warnings - nice, but they don't solve
it all - gentoo does this and yet they come back to us for "build problems"
despite the warnings saying DO NOT bother us. this is the reason i discourage
it. history shows that it tends to hinder.

i think that there may be an argument for putting in mainline ubuntu/debian apt
repos when we at least go alpha - then we do have a set of known bugs and we
are looking for more. if the packages of efl are all built with gdb debugging
during alpha and beta by default (no choice by a user) and src is shipped in
the packages so gdb works and can trance, step, inspect etc. then we have a
case at that time for shipping (then remove gdb debugging and src for the
final) :)