Re: [E-devel] E17 in Debian Sid

On Fri, 24 Nov 2006 22:43:03 +0000 Lut!n <lut1n.tne@gmail.com> babbled:

> 2006/11/24, Falko Schmidt <kaethorn@stud.uni-stuttgart.de>:
> >
> > Hi all,

ok- some summary.

1. e.org pages have not been updated or maintained because we anticipated a
while back moving to a new webserver, website and a need to redo ALL the
website. no need to go create content we just need to redo again. this has
unfortunately been delayed an taken a lot longer that thought. we are still
waiting.

2. packages of e17. e17 is unreleased. we do not encourage you to go put
packages in debian or ubuntu - why? you will piss us off as users will just come
back to use complaining about bugs or missing features when we are not done. it
doesn't matter what policies you have or how many lines of documentation say
not to bother us - they will. they will waste our time and patience. we do NOT
want e in official debian repositories. it just will mean a tonne of support we
already don't have time for.

if you want e development to halt - then go ahead. but likely it will mean just
that. users are a burden if you are not prepared for them - and we sure as hell
are not. they will not be god users and contact debian support mechanisms -
they will come back to us.

if you want to do packages - put them in a separate apt repository - make it
harder to get to. this will minimise the impact.

as for working together - i absolutely think you should - ubunutu and debian
basically are the same (from an e perspective anyway) and there is little use
it duplicating most of the packaging work :)