Re: [E-devel] bad drawnig - invisible shelf

On Thu, 23 Nov 2006 09:45:13 +0100 Wiesiek <efekty@gmail.com> babbled:

> Why invisible shelf draw the outline so bad?
>
> If I draw elements(text,image...) on white RECT it is good.
> If I draw elements(text,image...) in invisible shelf, on white
> backround(wallpaper,xterm...) it is bad.
>
> If you want to see a difference - I give you an test
> efontclock.edj(theme/modules/clock):
> Mouse left click on a clock - change the RECT visible/invisible.

because when the shelf is invisible it loses its background object. this
basically makes it invisible - and the shelf uses a shaped window (and a shaped
window has no alpha channel - it is either there or not). thus its not smooth.
this is a limitation of X. if you want alpha channel smoothing you can set the
shelf to be below everything then it is drawn in the desktop canvas - and thus
you get alpha blending (as x is not involved in drawing the canvas contents).
In theory xcomposite, a composite manager etc. can solve this - but that is an
advanced and still "Buggy" thing where your mileage might vary. so basically -
unless you LIKE the look- DONT make a shelf invisible WITHOUT setting it below
everything.