Re: [E-devel] ttf-dejavu fonts in default e17 theme ?

On Thu, 16 Nov 2006 12:59:26 +0100 Jan Rychter <jan@rychter.com> babbled:

> > > [What a pity - not to help central  european :) ok.ok.ok]
> >
> > it's not about not helping you - it's about changing fonts for an inadequate
> > solution. vera is a good font with good quality and a decent size -
> > something we can ship and know wil work regardless of the host system. if
> > you have better fonts/font sets etc. on your host system you CAN use them -
> > as you do below. the only thing we need to do is make that "automatic" on
> > first run - along with a billion other things that need to be auto-detected
> > on first run based on the system e runs on.
>
> While I do understand what you're saying, I thought I'd pitch in -- I'm
> not sure if you're aware of the fact that the DejaVu fonts are
> derivatives of Bitstream Vera, with an extended character set.
>
> This means that without changing *anything* but the font file, you'd
> make lots more users happy. People who use Bitstream Vera and are happy
> with it wouldn't even notice the change, as the characters that exist in
> Vera are exactly the same in DejaVu. You're just adding Extended Latin,
> Greek, Cyrillic, and a number of other special characters.
>
> See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DejaVu_fonts for details.
>
> I'm one of those people who need ISO-8859-2, and I also think that while
> we should have a general solution, the default should address as much as
> possible, especially if it's completely painless to implement.

i looked into it - the dejavu font metrics are different its max ascent/decent
are larger and this screws up sizing - everything now gets bigger but the
actual text does not get bigger. i will stick to vera - it works without
breaks/changes.