Re: [E-devel] Quality of svg icons in E17

On Mon, 9 Oct 2006 13:28:18 GMT "jose_ogp@juno.com" <jose_ogp@juno.com> babbled:

> > > Hi all.
> > >
> > > I can't be sure about this, but I *think* the quality of icons
> > > based on svg images has dropped recently. If I make an application
> >
> > I can't really imagine why they would look much different, vs.
> > scaling pngs, now from before. As raster mentions, it uses the same
> > scaling path for both, and the initial size at which they're loaded
> > hasn't changed either. Do they look exactly the same 'unscaled', vs.
> > the way they did before?
>
> 	Actually I have to take that back, now that I think about it
> a bit...
> 	Since we're now doing all our scaling and compositing in
> premul color space, there will be a difference in the results for
> images with alpha.. they will likely look a bit 'sharper' now, as
> if higher-contrast.
> 	But why the pngs would now look 'better' than the svgs, when
> scaled, is somewhat odd.. though certainly possible.
> 	There are several factors here that coud apply, but it's
> still a bit odd that there would a noticeable difference in "quality"
> between the two.

indeed - unless the svg image literally is not as detailed as the png or
something... but once loaded svg icons go through the identical rendering path
png, edj, tiff, jpeg etc. go through. it's all bitmaps. svg icons are loaded
and rendered at 64x64 on load (thats a hard-coded default right now in e).