Re: [E-devel] ttf-dejavu fonts in default e17 theme ?

> On Mon, 13 Nov 2006 11:52:02 +0100 Wiesiek <efekty@gmail.com> babbled:
> > 2006/11/13, The Rasterman Carsten Haitzler <raster@rasterman.com>:
> > >
> > > On Sun, 12 Nov 2006 14:06:49 +0100 Wiesiek <efekty@gmail.com> babbled:
> > > locale
> > >
> > > there are no plans to change the default font. you can change the font
> > > later if
> > > you want. we need to address font config with non western
> > > european/american
> > > locales "out of the box" but it is possible to change the font config.
> > > your
> > > suggestion does not solve chinese, japanese, or korean for example (nor
> > > hindi,
> > > thai etc. etc.) so it's far from a good solution. a proper solution solves
> > > all
> > > of these properly.
> >

> > [What a pity - not to help central  european :) ok.ok.ok]
>
> it's not about not helping you - it's about changing fonts for an inadequate
> solution. vera is a good font with good quality and a decent size - something
> we can ship and know wil work regardless of the host system. if you have better
> fonts/font sets etc. on your host system you CAN use them - as you do below.
> the only thing we need to do is make that "automatic" on first run - along with
> a billion other things that need to be auto-detected on first run based on the
> system e runs on.

While I do understand what you're saying, I thought I'd pitch in -- I'm
not sure if you're aware of the fact that the DejaVu fonts are
derivatives of Bitstream Vera, with an extended character set.

This means that without changing *anything* but the font file, you'd
make lots more users happy. People who use Bitstream Vera and are happy
with it wouldn't even notice the change, as the characters that exist in
Vera are exactly the same in DejaVu. You're just adding Extended Latin,
Greek, Cyrillic, and a number of other special characters.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DejaVu_fonts for details.

I'm one of those people who need ISO-8859-2, and I also think that while
we should have a general solution, the default should address as much as
possible, especially if it's completely painless to implement.

--J.