Re: [E-devel] ALT key and WIN key

On Sat, 11 Nov 2006 12:33:18 +0100 michelbriand@free.fr babbled:

> Selon Carsten Haitzler <raster@rasterman.com>:
>
> > On Mon, 06 Nov 2006 23:36:36 +0100 michelbriand@free.fr babbled:
> >
> > > Hello
> > >
> > > a small request for comment here:
> > >
> > > why not a new configuration item in Configuration Panel->Behaviour->Key
> > > Bindings which would speel like this:
> > >
> > > [if basic]
> > > "Default key for Enlightenment:
> > >    * ALT key
> > >    * WIN key"
> > > [if advanced]
> > > "Change all ALT bindings to WIN"
> > > "Change all WIN bindings to ALT"
> > >
> > > This could sounds good for many people since ALT is often usefull in
> > > applications (like The Gimp) and WIN is not used by default.
> > >
> > > Personnaly I use WIN key for ALL e16 bindings since I have a "win"
> > keyboard.
> > > This way I can use all the functions of ALT in The Gimp
> >
> > this is more a job for the e setup wizard (that is on the TODO) to set up
> > for you the first time you run e :)
> >

> Anyway, just to share my 2 cents with people on the list...
>
> Did you know that ALT key in The Gimp was very usefull ?
> With the select tool you can grab and move the selection shape with
> ALT+mouse_mouve.

great! happy for gimp. e by default uses alt+left+middle and right mouse.
that's how it is. believe it or not several other wm's do the exact same
thing... by default.

> I'll look into e startup wizard...
>
> Poll: "What default do you want for the WM function key ?"
> 1-   ALT
> 2-   WIN
> 3-   other...

alt. because not every keyboard has windows modifier keys. it's not a matter of
a poll. there is no choice. the only way is to have a runtime option to change
it to win - IF you have it.