Re: [E-devel] external applications on EFL

On Tue, 7 Nov 2006 20:20:32 +0100 Kapelonis Kostis <kkapelon@freemail.gr>
babbled:

> Hello list
>
> I have launched recently my own pet project
> which is using the EFL libraries.
>
> See
> http://elevate.sourceforge.net/screenshots.html
>
> I mention on the site that the EFL are currently unreleased.
> I also urge people who want to download EFL to use
> the freedesktop snapshots and not the CVS code.
>
> I am asking the core EFL developers which of the following applies.
>
> 1. The EFL are under constant change. The core developers do not
> want any external applications to build on them, until they are officially
> released. This way they won't have any pressure to keep a stable API
> in case the EFL become too popular before the 1.0 release.

we are happy for you to build - but beware - we still reserve the right to make
INCOMPATIBLE changes until 1.0.0 release (which will happen when e17 goes out
the door). of course any changes will likely be small and easy to adapt to - as
we have a tonne of code depending on those libs now and changes for us will be
painful too, but when we make changes - we will have a good reason.

> 2. The EFL are under constant change. The core developers DO want
> external applications to build on them, even though they are not officially
> released. This way the EFL get publicity, Bug reports, and beta testing.
>
> So basically should I continue with my application?
> Thanks.

if you want to - continue :)