Re: [E-devel] EDC Editor first try

On Wed, Nov 08, 2006 at 09:19:20PM +0100, DaveMDS wrote:
> Hi all,
> I'm working on an edc editor, something like glade but for the edje file.
> I have just done all the parsing of the edc file and the inteface (for
> now using gtk2).
> Now I'm going to do the evas design window.
>
> Has someone just made some work on this?
> Do you think it's useful?
>
> Thanks
> DaveMDS
>
> PS: Some idea for the application name? my first choice is 'ertist' but
> need suggestion.

There have been a few discussions in the past on how best to do an edje
editor. (The old ebits editor was named 'etcher', so I always assumed
we'd re-use that, but we don't have to. Frankly edje_editor is clear and
straightforward enough.

I had started playing with editor ideas a few years ago, but took a tack
that proved itself to be the wrong one (using edje's internal data structures
directly). We then started engrave as an edc parsing / editing library,
to be used by any future editor. (However, its a total pain to keep it
in sync with edje changes, and as such doesn't support anything that was
added to edje over about a year ago).

For another thread, see:
Jan 17, 2006  Chady Kassouf  [E-devel] [RFC] Edje GUI Editor

Ideally, I'd like to see some sort of edc editing lib in edje itself
that would be easier to keep in sync with edc changes. The next step to
an editor is to write a simplified version of edje_calc() to be used in
an editing environment. (e.g. only render the selected state, dont'
respond to mouse events, maybe tween when a new state is selected...)
On top of this we'd need the ability to select parts and add resize
handles (some way of changing relative, offset and 'to' params with the
mouse). Maybe also the ability to say "make this the min size of the
part, and this the max".

Anyway, its nice to see someone else picking this up.

You should probably take a look at both ewl and etk and see if one or
the other fits your needs before going with gtk. (just to keep it in the
family).

rephorm