Re: [E-devel] E17 Configuration and Entrance

Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) wrote:
On Mon, 6 Nov 2006 15:00:14 +0200 "Hisham Mardam Bey"
<hisham.mardambey@gmail.com> babbled:

On 11/6/06, Essien Ita Essien <essien@wazobialinux.com> wrote:

2. What I would actually have loved, would be to plug it into e17's
control panel (in addition to the above? so that non e17 systems can
still use Entrance)
Now the thing is, is it currently possible to have a plugin that just
launches another app from the E17 Control Panel (I don't think that it is).

If it is not, is it planned? Is it something that would be desirable? (I
think that it would be desireable)
We have discussed something similar in the past. What we need to have
is the ability for modules to add entries into the configuration panel
(should be trivial to do). Once thats possible, Entrance can have a
module that plugs into E17 and can do all sorts of magic including
adding stuff to the control panel. In regard to having a configuration
item in the control panel launch an outside tool, that should also be
trivial.

in reality - we want more than one way. modules need to be able to extend the
config panel - as do other apps/tools (system config tools - ala what onefang
said - via .desktop files). both are needed. the problem now is - the config
panel is really getting long. it used to be nice and short... :) should add it
to the todo - modules with config should really be able to put their stuff
there. also this sin't too hard to do - to the current config panel. it's more
work to actually split it up though :(

you're quite right, its getting quite long (and I see no end in sight, at least in the nearest future) :(

What may be better (though not trivial, is to have an fm[2] like interface (a kind of explorer interface)), kind of how M$ Blindows Control panel looks like. That way, you maximize to your hearts content, and still have a list view, which you can scroll to your hearts content.

IIRC, there was a time, very early on in e17's lifetime, when it looked like that. no?
--
Hisham Mardam Bey
MSc (Computer Science)