Re: [E-devel] utf-8 on windows

bob majdak jr wrote:
i've tried subing in external bitstream fonts, deja vu, and microsoft area and microsoft tehoma without success. what font files would you suggest?

- bob

Kim Woelders wrote:
bob majdak jr wrote:
asked on irc, they told me to send this to the devel list.

i've noticed on e16, current version, that the title bars on windows do not really like utf-8 text very much, it stops rendering at the first weird letter. it works if i pop it out of utf-8, like the iso-2 but then some of the weird letters show up as ¿ or ± and stuff.

so the question is, is it suppose to work and just a bug, or can it be made to work?

here are some screenshots.

e16 with broken title bar.
http://www.opsat.net/images/bob/dev/katepkg/20061029-utf8-02.png

xfce with working title bar.
http://www.opsat.net/images/bob/dev/katepkg/20061029-utf8-01.png

it's a polish gettext translation so i do not get much choice in the matter. nor do i speak polish, i only know what it says because it should be what i told them to translate :p

This is supposed to work, and it does for me, except if the theme font does not have the required characters, typically old ttf fonts or missing installation of e.g. the iso-8859-2 fonts.

Ok, just poked around some more.
When LANG is pl_PL or pl_PL.utf8 the default winter theme will use fonts.cfg.pl, which loads -*-helvetica-medium-r-normal-*-10-100-*-*-*-*-*-* and -*-helvetica-bold-r-normal-*-10-100-*-*-*-*-*-* in various sizes. I see no problems with this.

If I copy /usr/share/e16/themes/winter/fonts.cfg to ~/fonts.cfg.pl, e16 will use Vera.ttf and VeraBd.ttf from the theme. This font lacks some of the Polish characters, and they show up as squares.

If now I copy /usr/share/fonts/webcore/tahoma(bd).ttf to <theme>/ttfonts/Vera(Bd).ttf the Polish characters are rendered properly.

With e16-cvs which has Xft support I can use like "DejaVu Sans-7:Bold", and things are fine.

However, I just discovered that there is a problem (in the ttf and Xft cases), when a string contains non-standard characters and doesn't fit the available space in the title bar. Depending on the available space it may be broken off too early at the position of the special char. Is that the problem you are seeing?

/Kim