Re: [E-devel] remembering commands with options

On Wed, 01 Nov 2006 09:18:41 +1300 Jochen Schroeder
<jochen.schroeder@gmail.com> babbled:

> Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) wrote:
> > On Tue, 31 Oct 2006 16:08:24 +1300 Jochen Schroeder
> > <jochen.schroeder@gmail.com> babbled:

> >> I think you misunderstood me. I also have to correct you, putting
> >> Exec=Eterm && Eterm into a desktop file works perfectly fine when
> >> starting from the menu or from startup/.order, it starts a second Eterm
> >> after the first is finished. My real problem is described below, when
> >> using the remember option: "Start this program on login" it does not
> >> work, because e does not use the .desktop file entry to start the
> >> program, but the command from the window properties. Also when it uses
> >> that command when it starts the program at login, all whitespace is
> >> lost, thus if you started the program with options it now cannot find
> >> the command. I'm asking why e is not just using the command from the
> >> corresponding desktop file when setting "Start this program on login".
> >>

> > i know what the real problem is :) just that running multiple commands
> > works by sheer luck only - not by design. i know about the other problem :)
> >
> Ah, OK :) then forget what I set earlier :). Just one more question, by
> running multiple commands works by luck, not by design, do you mean, by
> design you don't want to run multiple commands?

correct. shell features like pipes, redirection, &&, ||, ; for I in a b v; do
exec blah; done etc. - just open a can of worms. you start supporting them and
how much DO you support? before you know you you implemented a full shell
script parser and executor in E.

it happens to work by luck because it is passed to /bin/sh to execute in such a
way that it can be executed by the shell correctly. it bypasses the shell if it
sees special meta characters that shells use ($, ;, & etc.) in the command.

remember to execute something via the shell FIRST requires the shell to execute
and so its thing THEN the app u actually wanted. if you have ever traced and
watched what is involved in executing a program you might actually know why you
want to avoid an exec if it can be avoided. :)