Re: [E-devel] automake 1.10 again

On Tuesday 31 October 2006 06:13, Carsten Haitzler wrote:
> as best i see right now - i don't know of our "problem" - i only hear about
> ugly workarounds and hacks to "make it work" with a tool developers are not
> actually using (thus it's irrelevant).

we illustrated it pretty clearly in one of the previous threads ;)

the problem:
e17 code misuses gettext autotool features ... in this case, we call
AM_GNU_GETTEXT() in configure.in but then fail to provide any of the gettext
helper files (in this case config.rpath)

older automake versions (<=1.9) would not catch this and so at runtime you
would see things like configure complaining about ./config.rpath not being
found, but the build would go on.  with automake-1.10+, these files are
explicitly checked for and so automake aborts saying that config.rpath was
not provided when it is needed

the fix may be to run autopoint or gettextize ... i havent put forth anything
as i havent studied the e17 handling of po subdirs and the little i have
looked shows that they are definitely non-standard ...
-mike