Re: [E-devel] Larger diff against CVS concernig autofoo and debian/*

On Wednesday, 25 October 2006, at 07:53:50 (+0900),
Carsten Haitzler wrote:

> i would disagree with banning it - but HEAVILY discouraging it i do
> agree with.

I'll grant you that it attempts to solve a problem which definitely
needs a solution.  But I feel that "epoch" is the wrong solution and
that it causes more problems than it actually resolves.

Once you open the Epoch door, you can never really shut it again.
That's why I take the stance I do.  I prefer to work around temporary
problems (like the challenge of E going from version 0.17-0.YYYYMMDD
to version 0.16.999.NNN-*) in other ways and leave epochs out of the
equation altogether.

> the reason for my moans was just seeing the "oh - we can get out
> packages preferred over their packages as long as we just keep our
> epoch higher!" and before you know it you have multiple repositories
> competing by just raising epochs. epoch war!  oh fun. it should
> never even have been used to start with - there was never any reason
> to bring it in to start with as we have not done any major shifts in
> versioning in any official release - ever.

Yes, I know.  I'm quite familiar with the issues surrounding epoch;
that's why our policy exists -- me. :-)

Michael

 "You're just an empty cage, girl, if you kill the bird."
                                               -- Tori Amos, "Crucify"