Re: [E-devel] Eterm cut and paste doesn't work on x86_64 with gcc4.1.1

On Saturday, 14 October 2006, at 01:56:55 (-0400),
Mike Frysinger wrote:

> selection_send() looks like it could use some calls to D_SELECT()
> ...  otherwise it doesnt look like it gets called at all

True :)

> in my testing over here, every paste that works involves
> selection_send() doing XA_STRING ... but every paste that fails
> involves selection_send() doing PROP_SELECTION_TARGETS ...
>
> if i cheat and make the first PROP_SELECTION_TARGETS always fail and
> make the XA_STRING always pass, pasting into QT apps starts working

Hopefully raster is paying attention and can correct me if I'm
wrong...

As I understand both the ICCCM
(http://tronche.com/gui/x/icccm/sec-2.html) and JWZ's X selection page
(http://www.jwz.org/doc/x-cut-and-paste.html), a request bearing the
TARGETS atom is a request not for the selection itself, but rather for
a list of the possible types in which it may request the selection.
The client requesting is then responsible for issuing a new request in
one of the returned formats.

Unless I'm missing something, this would be an improper ICCCM
implementation on the part of Qt.

So what am I missing?  :-)

Michael

 "There is always choice.  We say there is no choice only to comfort
  ourselves with a decision we have already made."
           -- Lady Morella (Majel Barrett Roddenberry), "Babylon Five"