Re: [E-devel] bytecode hinting and desktop files

On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 17:54:15 +0200 Massimo Maiurana <maiurana@gmail.com>
babbled:

[  7:45AM ~ ] dpkg -l | grep freet
ii  libfreetype6
2.2.1-5                           FreeType 2 font engine, shared library files
ii  libfreetype6-dev
2.2.1-5                           FreeType 2 font engine, development files
[  7:47AM /usr/include/freetype2/freetype ] grep FT_Get_TrueType_Engine_Type *
ftmodapi.h:   *     by the @FT_Get_TrueType_Engine_Type function.
ftmodapi.h:   *     FT_Get_TrueType_Engine_Type
ftmodapi.h:  FT_Get_TrueType_Engine_Type( FT_Library  library );

and i get bytecode hinting as an option. debian (and ubuntu) have a history of
shipping freetype with the bytecode hinting enabled.

all i can imagine is that you have a somehow messed up ft2 build.

[  7:50AM ~/C/evas/src/lib/engines/common ] grep FT_Get_TrueType_Engine_Type *.c
evas_font_load.c:        return FT_Get_TrueType_Engine_Type(evas_ft_lib) >=

#if FREETYPE_MINOR >= 2
         return FT_Get_TrueType_Engine_Type(evas_ft_lib) >=
                FT_TRUETYPE_ENGINE_TYPE_PATENTED;
#else

ie check the code - if your minor ver >= 2 then it uses that function and
whatever it returns is used as a result, and if you don't have that function it
assumes you have bytecode hinting anyway (as there is no consistent way to check
that actually works where it should).

> Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman), il 17/10/2006 03:54, scrisse:
> >> the version of freetype is 2.2.1, and indeed>>
> >> in/usr/include/freetype2/freetype/ftmodapi.h I see these lines:
> >> FT_EXPORT>> ( FT_TrueTypeEngineType )FT_Get_TrueType_Engine_Type
> >> ( FT_Library  library );> > so the eature is ythere - and it is seemingly
> >> reporting that ft2 cannot do> bytecode hinting - thus no option to do it.
> but ft2 *CAN* surely do bytecode hinting, I'm pretty sure about
> thisbecause:1) my previous installations of enlightenment used bytecode
> hintingand the font looked better2)
> in /usr/include/freetype2/freetype/config/ftoption.h there is"#define
> TT_CONFIG_OPTION_BYTECODE_INTERPRETER" why ft2 should say it's unable to do
> bytecode?am I the only one facing this problem?is there a piece of code
> somewhere I could use to see whatFT_Get_TrueType_Engine_Type returns?

see the above - add a printf and see what that func actually returns - but i
bet you it is saying that it DOESNT do patented hinting.