Re: [E-devel] "add shelf" to the main menu

On Mon, 16 Oct 2006 12:23:28 +0200 dAgeCKo <dagecko@free.fr> babbled:

> > > http://devilhorns.us/images/menu1.png
> > > http://devilhorns.us/images/menu2.png
> > >
> > > Yes ??
> >
> > almost - except its "Configure Virtual Desktops" not just This desktop" (and
> > it
> > just brings up the virtual desktops config dialog - just another convenient
> > entry point to get to the config dialog)
>
> Why not allowing the user to decide where to place some elements of
> the menu ? If it cannot be done now, then maybe for next releases ?
>
> I know users won't modify their shelves very often. But this might
> rise another question underlying this one: do any users would like
> to have the same menu, or best do the current menu organisation will
> satisfy all users ? So I would suggest a menu configurator.

that makes things harder as some parts of menus are dynamically created and
generated by code. they are not just static things. maybe in e18 we will look
at providing more flexibility there. but history has taught me that 99% of
people never change such a thing - even if it is configurable, so we should
focus on making the default really good and smart - and then later when we have
not so many pressing things to do with e, come back and look at making the menu
more flexible.