Re: [E-devel] Edje Messages Help

On 09/10/06, Jason Melbye <jdmelbye@wisc.edu> wrote:
I have been playing around with the edje library and have some
questions.

I am hoping to write a c program that sends an edje interface a message
(a string for now) periodically.  It's up to the edje interface to
decide what to do with the message, but for now I would just like to
display it in a text part.

It seems like I need something a little more complicated than just
edje_object_signal_emit, since i need to send the actual data.

I saw edje_object_message_send, and that just opened a whole new can of
worms, but looks promising.  Can anyone point me to some code that
makes use of the function, or any related edje message code?  I'm not
clear on the use of id's and the different message types.  Nor do I
know how to handle them in the .edc file, although
/e17/libs/edje/data/src/edje_test.edc seems to offer some guidance.

Thanks!
Jason

Hi,

What you are trying to do is basically exactly what I did for the
"moon" module that you can find in cvs.

I calculate a moon phase value periodically in my application, and
then send it to the moon edje interface, which then displays it to the
user. The form in which it displays the phase information is in the
shape of a moon image that matches the phase info the interface
receives. (I also started sending string information in addition to
this as well).

They are completely out of date with respect to writing gadgets, but I
did some writeups on the moon module a year ago, which also include
some bits about the application -> edje messages:
http://edevelop.org/node/1795
http://edevelop.org/node/1901

This should probably help you understand the id thing, message types,
and how to handle them in the edc. Let me know if you still get stuck
:-)

David