Re: [E-devel] entrance is now bloated.

Eugen Minciu wrote:
On Wed, 27 Sep 2006 01:58:33 +0200
Morten Nilsen <morten@nilsen.com> wrote:

Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) wrote:
On Tue, 26 Sep 2006 19:58:36 +0100 Essien Ita Essien <essien@wazobialinux.com>
babbled:
all fixed now.
actually not all fixed. 1 entrance process floating around. there's no need for
it to hang about like a bad smell. :) i am pretty damn sure that when i fixed
it before entrance spawned off the user's login session then REPLACED itself
with entrance_login so it became small and unobtrusive. there were not 2
entrances and entrance became entrance_login :) i'm pretty damn sure that's how
it was... :)
I think this was a result of the whole yahoo about shells a bit back..
The one that ended with entrance executing the chosen environment
directly, and not run it by /bin/sh or /bin/bash
That was my patch.

I apologize, for not seeing this. I really suck. I tried to do a lot more then was initially required. Someone should probably bash me for changing code I don't understand and they'd have a point. You should probably revert the entire thing.
Naaahh... no need for reverting... you don't suck too :) (ok... you suck!!! :P)
The mess it created is a lot worse then the (small) benefit it created.
Sorry.
Naaah.... I'm working around them... the work is beneficial, just some small things to take into account :)
You might want to keep that strtok() parsing when starting the X server but I don't know really.

Eugen.
Personally, the ~9MB out of 2GB the entrance process is hogging is
negligible, but still wasted RAM..

My biggest problem is having to execute xmodmap ~/.Xmodmap by hand all
the time. I didn't have to do that a few weeks back.

--
Morten
:wq