Re: [E-devel] NetworkManager in E17

On 9/26/06, Frederick Reeve <cylix@solace.info> wrote:

On Tue, 26 Sep 2006 19:41:26 -0400
"Didier Casse" <didier.casse@gmail.com> wrote:

> Now even the 3rd party tray "trayer-1.0"  doesn't display the icon. I
> had to login into GNOME to see the networks and connect. Does anybody
> have any practical solutions or use some other software? Thanks.

I know this may not be the most elegant solution but you can run in a term something to the effect of:

$ iwlist ethx scan
$ sudo dhclient -r ethx
$ sudo iwconfig ethx essid "id" channel nn key "xxxx-xxxx-xx or 128bit etc" mode managed
$ sudo dhclient ethx

The mode should be managed in the vast magority of cases.
or this for a non dynamic setup

$ iwlist ethx scan
$ sudo ifconfig ethx down
$ sudo iwconfig ethx essid "id" channel nn key "xxxx-xxxx-xx or 128bit etc"
$ sudo ifconfig ethx nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn netmask 255.255.255.0 up

Maybe you know this. Sorry if you did.  You might have to adjust the comand names for your distro but that should work on debian/ubuntu.  I don't switch networks but a couple times a day so this works for me and is honestly if you are an ok typer it is about as fast as a gui although definietly not as cool.  :-)

Of course now that I right all this it pricks my mind that this should probably be directed to the users list.

Hope that helps for now.

An even better solution IMHO is to use wpa_supplicant, which has
support for automatic switching between networks.

--
Justin Patrin