Re: [E-devel] entrance is now bloated.

On Wed, 27 Sep 2006 01:58:33 +0200 Morten Nilsen <morten@nilsen.com> babbled:

> Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) wrote:
> > On Tue, 26 Sep 2006 19:58:36 +0100 Essien Ita Essien
> > <essien@wazobialinux.com> babbled:
> >> all fixed now.
> >
> > actually not all fixed. 1 entrance process floating around. there's no need
> > for it to hang about like a bad smell. :) i am pretty damn sure that when i
> > fixed it before entrance spawned off the user's login session then REPLACED
> > itself with entrance_login so it became small and unobtrusive. there were
> > not 2 entrances and entrance became entrance_login :) i'm pretty damn sure
> > that's how it was... :)
>
> I think this was a result of the whole yahoo about shells a bit back..
> The one that ended with entrance executing the chosen environment
> directly, and not run it by /bin/sh or /bin/bash
>
> Personally, the ~9MB out of 2GB the entrance process is hogging is
> negligible, but still wasted RAM..
>
> My biggest problem is having to execute xmodmap ~/.Xmodmap by hand all
> the time. I didn't have to do that a few weeks back.

it's the WAY you execute the login process. you are spawning it as a
sub-process of entrance, rather than REPLACING entrance. remember fork()
creates a child. exec() REPLACES the current process with the new one.
"runing" an app is a fork + an exec as you DONT want to replace yourself. b ut
in this case you DO.