Re: [E-devel] entrance is now bloated.

Eugen Minciu wrote:
On Tue, 26 Sep 2006 14:31:04 +0900
Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) <raster@rasterman.com> wrote:
My entrance is built on September 11th and I don't have this problem.

Hope this helps you narrow it down.
Ok... found it after a few minutes of poking around web-cvs.

Actually, the problem came in with the shell utilization patches...
http://e.kevb.net/cgi-bin/viewvc.cgi/e17/apps/entrance/src/client/entrance_session.c?r1=1.85&r2=1.86&sortby=date

Now that I've identified it. It will be fixed soonest.

Cheers,
Essien
OK - a quick check today:

PID USER PR NI VIRT RES SHR S %CPU %MEM TIME+ COMMAND 4183 root 15 0 79712 28m 5216 S 0 2.9 0:35.94 Xorg 9385 raster 15 0 106m 21m 11m S 0 2.1 0:03.04 sylpheed 4189 root 16 0 65112 13m 3060 S 0 1.3 0:04.72 entrance 4600 raster 16 0 65112 11m 704 S 0 1.1 0:00.00 entrance 4601 raster 15 0 70988 9604 3984 S 0 0.9 1:50.63 enlightenm 4168 root 16 0 41956 1248 860 S 0 0.1 0:00.00 entranced
... now yes - i know how top and ps can lie - BUT, i only now JUST noticed -
someone has removed my work of using entrance_login. ie entranced spawns (and
manages) X and entrance (entrance is the gui front end). when you authenticate
- entrance runs the login session. in order to make sure that when your login
ends everything is cleaned up login-wise, entrance_login sits and waits for the
user's login to end. entrance_login is small - it uses no efl libs. it is
intended to be so small as to use very little ram while you are logged in. this
seems to have been thrown out the window now with entrance spawning 2
incarnations of itself and just siting around hogging stale unused memory that
will eventually need to be swapped out - while a user is logged in.

why was this removed? why suddenly consume about 20MB worth of resident pages
of ram when this is really not needed? just exec() entrance_login so it
replaces the entrance process with a brand new one that has no allocated
memory, fragmented pages etc. if any housekeeping needs to be added - add it to
entrance_login and pass it in via cmd-line, stdin or something. as it stands
entrance is hogging a huge amount of memory for no useful purpose. entranced
should stick around - and really - it's not fat at all (400k of resident pages
or so). look at the above - enlightenment is leaner than entrance - by < 50%
mem use. and entrance should be doing NOTHING - it should be idle and consuming
basically no resources as it's only waiting for my login session to end.

now - this brings me to my point. people need to think about what they are
patching and changing - not just in terms of features, but what they might
break, destroy and then bloat-up. this isn't gnome people. we CARE about
resource usage. if you are going to use ram or cpu - do it for a reason - get
something out of it (functionality, prettiness, etc.) but profile your work -
check its memory usage, check its process spawning - do the processes go away?
so you leave them hanging around consuming precious ram and/or cpu.

pay attention to the details. details make the difference between a $1 piece of
plastic imitation junk churned out by a chinese factory and a masterpiece of
craftsmanship.

i am sorry to have to say this - but i'm disappointed to see lax work like
this. :(