[E-devel] entrance is now bloated.

OK - a quick check today:

 4183 root      15   0 79712  28m 5216 S    0  2.9   0:35.94 Xorg
 9385 raster    15   0  106m  21m  11m S    0  2.1   0:03.04 sylpheed
 4189 root      16   0 65112  13m 3060 S    0  1.3   0:04.72 entrance
 4600 raster    16   0 65112  11m  704 S    0  1.1   0:00.00 entrance
 4601 raster    15   0 70988 9604 3984 S    0  0.9   1:50.63 enlightenm
 4168 root      16   0 41956 1248  860 S    0  0.1   0:00.00 entranced

... now yes - i know how top and ps can lie - BUT, i only now JUST noticed -
someone has removed my work of using entrance_login. ie entranced spawns (and
manages) X and entrance (entrance is the gui front end). when you authenticate
- entrance runs the login session. in order to make sure that when your login
ends everything is cleaned up login-wise, entrance_login sits and waits for the
user's login to end. entrance_login is small - it uses no efl libs. it is
intended to be so small as to use very little ram while you are logged in. this
seems to have been thrown out the window now with entrance spawning 2
incarnations of itself and just siting around hogging stale unused memory that
will eventually need to be swapped out - while a user is logged in.

why was this removed? why suddenly consume about 20MB worth of resident pages
of ram when this is really not needed? just exec() entrance_login so it
replaces the entrance process with a brand new one that has no allocated
memory, fragmented pages etc. if any housekeeping needs to be added - add it to
entrance_login and pass it in via cmd-line, stdin or something. as it stands
entrance is hogging a huge amount of memory for no useful purpose. entranced
should stick around - and really - it's not fat at all (400k of resident pages
or so). look at the above - enlightenment is leaner than entrance - by < 50%
mem use. and entrance should be doing NOTHING - it should be idle and consuming
basically no resources as it's only waiting for my login session to end.

now - this brings me to my point. people need to think about what they are
patching and changing - not just in terms of features, but what they might
break, destroy and then bloat-up. this isn't gnome people. we CARE about
resource usage. if you are going to use ram or cpu - do it for a reason - get
something out of it (functionality, prettiness, etc.) but profile your work -
check its memory usage, check its process spawning - do the processes go away?
so you leave them hanging around consuming precious ram and/or cpu.

pay attention to the details. details make the difference between a $1 piece of
plastic imitation junk churned out by a chinese factory and a masterpiece of
craftsmanship.

i am sorry to have to say this - but i'm disappointed to see lax work like
this. :(