Re: [E-devel] fix for that silly -mfpmath=sse weirdness

On Mon, 25 Sep 2006 10:50:09 -0700 Blake Barnett <shadoi@nanovoid.com> babbled:

> On Sep 25, 2006, at 10:44 AM, David Sharp wrote:
>
> > amd64 users, rejoice!
> >
> > i got tired of slowing down e with -mfpmath=387 all the time, so i
> > finally dug in to this bug after realizing it was probably a problem
> > with floating point cancelation (occurs when subtracting two numbers
> > that are very near equal, and causes an extreme loss of precision).
> >
> > the problem is in _edje_part_recalc() when it linearly interpolates
> > all the part parameters. all of the caclulations are of this form:
> > p3.x = (p1.x * (1.0 - pos)) + (p2.x * (pos));
> > i believe there is some cancelation occuring in the (1.0-pos) part of
> > this, especially as pos approaches 1.0.
> >
> > replacing the above line with the following fixes the problem:
> > p3.x = p1.x + (p2.x - p1.x) * pos;
> > mathematically equivalent, but, alas, computers aren't as good at math
> > as we think.
>
> Awesome!  My 3500+ CPU has felt fairly sluggish in E, my video card
> has 128MB of video memory (ATI 9700PRO, using ATI's drivers) and I've
> noticed that things just aren't as fluid as in Rasters video
> captures.  Hopefully this'll help. Nice work.

it won't make any difference you can measure. the amount of fp math done is <
0.1% of the work - by using sse math you lose a bit of precision and maybe gain
50% speedup - on that < 0.01%. frankly- you will not be able to even measure
the speedup letalone notice it. it's a fallacy to think it will help. trust me.

fluid or not will have nothing to do with fp math. :) it will fix BUGS where
things jerk about due to cumulative loss of precision with 64bit fp math.