Re: [E-devel] Continuing the website saga

On Fri, 22 Sep 2006 18:01:42 -0700 Ben Rockwood <benr@cuddletech.com> babbled:

> Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) wrote:
> > On Fri, 22 Sep 2006 14:13:53 -0500 "Sthithaprajna Garapaty"
> > <iamsthitha@gmail.com> babbled:
> >
> >> No Mambo. No Joomla.
> >
> > why?
>
> I have to admit that I've never seen a CMS I actually like, mostly
> because the pages look more like a hodge-podge of articles rather than a
> clean site. I don't like that Slashdot ("Read More", "Comment", etc) look.
>
> Reguardless, of all the CMS's I've played with Mambo/Joomla makes me the
> least irritated. Its easy to use, fast, and pretty. And, as an E user,
> prettiness counts.
>
> Drupal has the name, but it just rubs me the wrong way.
>
> BTW, I'm working at Joyent/Textdrive now. If we continue having problems
> getting a server I might be able to swing us a Solaris Container hosted
> at Textdrive. I'm not sure how much this would irritate people, but its
> a potential option to put on the table.

thanks! :) btw - server is coming. it's been donated by coolcheeze - he's
building it and will ship to osuosl.

> Speaking of servers, just for the record, I worked long and hard to get
> systems from Sun and ultimately nothing resulted. The problem is that
> Sun doesn't just "give it away", some department inside of Sun has to
> pay for it out of their own budget and things have been really tight
> lately. I continue to keep it in peoples ears but I wouldn't count on
> anything.

aye - i wasn't expecting much - but it makes sense. either way we will be
getting own own box soon:

dual opteron, 2gb ram, 2x250gb sata raid. gig-e etc. in a datacenter with what
i understand to be at least 100mbit of bandwidth (both ways). we will have root
- we will have a full box for us. we will have choice.