Re: [E-devel] Continuing the website saga

On 9/21/06, Ben Rockwood <benr@cuddletech.com> wrote:
Michael Jennings wrote:
> On Thursday, 21 September 2006, at 15:23:15 (+0900),
> Carsten Haitzler wrote:
>

>> does anyone know of something that does the whole list of things we
>> have mentioned we need - in one package that is solid and easy to
>> use, reliable, efficient, secure etc.?
>>

> TikiWiki is one I use for a couple sites.  It has wiki, forums, a FAQ
> engine, a good authorization/permissions engine, and lots of other
> features, many of which we'd never use, which can be turned off one by
> one.  Check out tikiwiki.org for more info; my two sites are
> wiki.caosity.org and www.linuxvilleusa.com (pretty stale, but better
> than E.org).  ;-)

I've been looking at TikiWiki lately.  It looks really kool.  I'd
definately be willing to give it a try.

Be careful. Last I used TikiWiki it was a mess code-wise. Lots of
places for security holes to pop up and a wiki rendering engine that
was pure spaghetti. It may have gotten better in the year or so since
I last used it but....be careful. It has some egregious problems
before that allowed people to hijack your site very easily (similar to
the PHPBB bugs you may have heard about).

I would suggest possibly looking into bitweaver (formerly known as
TikiPro). They did a great job of refactoring and making the system
much nicer internally.

--
Justin Patrin