Re: [E-devel] Continuing the website saga

On Wed, 20 Sep 2006 16:59:10 -0700 Ben Rockwood <benr@cuddletech.com> babbled:

well the plan for now is dependent on when e.org moves.

what i have noticed is we have a fairly big "i dont like xsm" camp. the biggest
complaints are ui and speed. frankly adding a news item should take no more
than 5 seconds or so (excluding writing the item itself). if we cant manage
that - it likely will continue to be a problem.

a cms was put there because cvs access to do the www site meant that very few
had access and would/could bother with it. i wanted to take load off ben's
plate and make things easier for more people to work together. so far it hasn't
turned out too well.

sf.net hasn't helped with slowness and limiting " of db's we can have, write
access to the www tree from the cgi etc. etc.

i am willing to entertain alternatives to xsm. sorry ben - but hacking html
files isn't going to scale to get others involved. but how can we get "close"
to that? a wiki might be more manageable in this sense - but which wiki? and
what about all the other things we want (bug tracking, forums etc. etc.)...

does anyone know of something that does the whole list of things we have
mentioned we need - in one package that is solid and easy to use, reliable,
efficient, secure etc.?