Re: [E-devel] Continuing the website saga

Michael Jennings wrote:
> On Wednesday, 20 September 2006, at 10:51:36 (-0700),
> Ben Rockwood wrote:
>

>> I've made it clear over the years that so long as we're using
>> Rectang XSM I won't touch the site.  I used it a couple of times and
>> the frustration, speed, and capabilities of XSM are totally
>> inexcusable.  I have a great respect for HandyAndE and mean no
>> disrespect to him, but so long as XSM is in place I'm not touching
>> it anymore.
>>

> So basically you'll only help if things are done the way you want them
> to be.  "My way, or the highway."
>
> I think that attitude speaks for itself.

Michael, chill.  Lets look at the facts shall we:

1) Since moving to XSM updates have almost complete stopped.  The
changes in the last 2 years are all trivial.  (Minus the redesign work.)
2) XSM is, speaking only for myself, slow and non-intuitive to work
with.  Simple news updates take 30 minutes or more due to rebuilds.
3) No one has stepped up to the plate to work within the current
framework, and honestly I haven't heard anyone say they like it or are
willing to maintain it in XSM.

4) Final decisions on what happens with E.org is Raster's call.  I
haven't just yanked down XSM and done things "my way" because its not my
call, its ultimately his.  I brought up discussion about switching off
of XSM over a year ago and the discussion fizzled out on the "leave it
alone" note, I didn't rock the boat.

5) I don't care WHAT we use.  Flat HTML is fast and easy and we'd have
an updated site in less than a day even with the site on SF.  So long as
the choice is easier and faster to work with I really am not going to
press for any particular solution.

Bottom line, the site gets a noteworthy amount of traffic on a daily
basis.  No one is updating or maintaining the site.  This wasn't the
case prior to XSM, I'm not saying it was perfect but work was at least
happening.  Tell me what you want to move to and I'll do it.  The point
is here that I'm willing and able to do the work.  Tell me what you want
and that no one will freak out when I do it and off we go.

... besides, Michael, you know me.  I don't tend to lone-gun things or
dictate.  I'm here to help, others will help, I believe, if we have a
better framework, lets just get the site working reasonably again.
I've had "Fix E.org" on my TODO list for over 2 years!!!  I'd like to
finally get on with things.

benr.

PS: I think I miss mails like this from you, mej, the most.  You da man
Michael. ;)