Re: [E-devel] itray module

On Tue, 19 Sep 2006 06:43:25 -0400
"Sthithaprajna Garapaty" <iamsthitha@gmail.com> wrote:

> > I think for now we can get away with just a notification module. Is there any spec for this? Anything we should be looking at? (maybe the Gnome & KDE code).
>
> Somewhat. There's libnotify and the Desktop Notification Spec.
> http://trac.galago-project.org/wiki/DesktopNotifications
> http://galago-project.org/specs/notification/index.php
> http://galago-project.org/downloads.php
>
> Unfortunately, its not too widely implemented, and the spec is not too
> comprehensive either.
> But, it does provide a lot more flexiblity than the systray spec in
> that it does not restrict you to single icons in a row and of course,
> it throws out the ugly sub-windowing for actual images (with alpha)
> and text.
> >
> > Basically, it would be nice if we could, maybe extend the IBox so each minimized application can send notifications. Maybe we could somehow fool other applications into thinking they've been trayed so that they can send notifications and we can capture them.
>
> This seems like a bad idea to me. Applications shouldnt have to be
> minimized to send notifications. In fact, applications shouldn't need
> to have a window open to send notifications.

imho the notification and the tray system must be separated. They're goal are too different to make it in one only module.

> > These are just my thoughts, dunno if they're good. Waiting to hear your opinions. I might get into this module, in a few days, when I finish my current work. I have other things on my list as well (I have updating the carbon theme, and integrating some power management into E on my list at the moment).
> >
> > So basically, I'd like to collect some thoughts on these items. But mostly, on this notification thing.

I think that basically we need a "notification daemon" like describe in the spec. But more than that it would be very great if the daemon posses some prebuilt widgets and that all we need is to passe a description of the UI by dbus (I risk my life saying that but if we want something multidesktop, xml should be used here).

About the daemon :
He has to be able to parse the xml input and make the corresponding UI (seems logical). The xml describe the widgets used, their different properties and value and their positions (something like the box model of edje would be great for that but again if we wan't something "multi desktop" and not just for e maybe this point need some discussion).
Concerning the prebuilt widgets, I'm not talking about remake another toolkit, the daemon has just to use already existant basics widgets (i.e: label, button, image, progressbar, scrolledview) in the toolkit of his choice.

Thus with a system like that, the theme and toolkit used for the notification is not anymore choose by the application but by the user.

Here is my thoughts, whether you took it or not I'm really interested by using a notification something so I hope that you are going to start to work on it soon :)

lok.