Re: [E-devel] itray module

I think for now we can get away with just a notification module. Is there any spec for this? Anything we should be looking at? (maybe the Gnome & KDE code).

Somewhat. There's libnotify and the Desktop Notification Spec.
http://trac.galago-project.org/wiki/DesktopNotifications
http://galago-project.org/specs/notification/index.php
http://galago-project.org/downloads.php

Unfortunately, its not too widely implemented, and the spec is not too
comprehensive either.
But, it does provide a lot more flexiblity than the systray spec in
that it does not restrict you to single icons in a row and of course,
it throws out the ugly sub-windowing for actual images (with alpha)
and text.

Basically, it would be nice if we could, maybe extend the IBox so each minimized application can send notifications. Maybe we could somehow fool other applications into thinking they've been trayed so that they can send notifications and we can capture them.

This seems like a bad idea to me. Applications shouldnt have to be
minimized to send notifications. In fact, applications shouldn't need
to have a window open to send notifications.

These are just my thoughts, dunno if they're good. Waiting to hear your opinions. I might get into this module, in a few days, when I finish my current work. I have other things on my list as well (I have updating the carbon theme, and integrating some power management into E on my list at the moment).

So basically, I'd like to collect some thoughts on these items. But mostly, on this notification thing.

Cheers,
Eugen.