Re: [E-devel] itray module

On Tue, 19 Sep 2006 05:57:50 GMT
"jose_ogp@juno.com" <jose_ogp@juno.com> wrote:

> > it can't. it's a window. just like tray icons. windows cant be
> > part of a canvas.
>
> 	I think that given the current design of the systray spec,
> what we have here is just that, currently, implementing this may
> give ugly stuff for many systray-apps.. But I don't think it means
> that the concept is a bad one and should not be pursued.
>
> 	If the concept is useful, then it could be made to work well
> with 'enlightened' systray related apps - there may not be many such
> right now, but maybe some will develop soon... :)
>
> 	Better to have good with "e-systray-aware-apps" and some
> others, but ugly with many others... than nothing at all?
Hmm ... I don't share that opinion :)

I think for now we can get away with just a notification module. Is there any spec for this? Anything we should be looking at? (maybe the Gnome & KDE code).

Basically, it would be nice if we could, maybe extend the IBox so each minimized application can send notifications. Maybe we could somehow fool other applications into thinking they've been trayed so that they can send notifications and we can capture them.

These are just my thoughts, dunno if they're good. Waiting to hear your opinions. I might get into this module, in a few days, when I finish my current work. I have other things on my list as well (I have updating the carbon theme, and integrating some power management into E on my list at the moment).

So basically, I'd like to collect some thoughts on these items. But mostly, on this notification thing.

Cheers,
Eugen.