Re: [E-devel] itray module

On Mon, 18 Sep 2006 20:10:06 +0100 João Vale <jpvale@gmail.com> babbled:

> I assumed it would be, as the last reference I found to it in themailing
> list's archives was around February, and you know way betterthan me that a
> lot changed in the meantime. :) Anyway, I've got some free time currently, so
> I'm willing to dive intoit. //Vale

let me save you some time. "system tray icons" as such and the way they are
implemented by client applications are 1. buggy (restart e and wtach most
dissapear as apps simply don't cope having a new system tray start up and an
old one go away), 2. limit you to square boxes per icon where the background is
a solid color. 3. that solid color is either whatever gtk wants as its bg color
OR for qt/kde apps it "inherits" the bg from parent - since e's window have no
bg color (they paint their own contents) this falls over in a stinking heap and
doesn't work. 4. they expect to have mouse events work on them and thus won't
work with canvases, swallowing or layering. they are literal sub-windows.

basically - forget it. tray icons are a royal mess.