Re: [E-devel] E CVS: libs/ecore onefang

On Sat, Sep 16, 2006 at 10:08:36PM -0500, Ed Presutti wrote:
> On Sun, 2006-09-17 at 10:20 +0900, Carsten Haitzler wrote:
> > On Sat, 16 Sep 2006 16:38:28 -0500 Ed Presutti <epresutti@comcast.net> babbled:
> >
> > > Why the conversion back to .edj? Didn't we just convert to .eap a little
> > > over a year ago?
> >
> > no - eaps have been with us from the day e could do "apps". :)
> >

> I just remember a flurry of CVS commits with "edj->eap" in the
> changelogs. :-)

You may be remembering .eet -> .edj and .eapp -> .eap changes.

> Back to the original question... why go back to .edj?

The .eap format is being deprected. It consisted of a .edj file with
certain extra keys specified for application info (name, exe, etc).
This allowed the icon image to be tied directly to the application
launching information (making it difficult to have launchable apps
lacking icons). However, it is also difficult to handle icon themes (as
the launching info is then duplicated between each differently themed
icon). We now use the more standard .desktop files (which specify the
launch info, and a name for the icon, but no actual icon data).

However, in order to retain support for animated icons, we've slightly
extended the spec to search first for a .edj icon in certain locations
(iirc, /prefix/share/enlightenment/data/icons and ~/.e/e/icons).

So, the launch data within the .eap files will no longer be used, just
the edje data. Thus, moving back to the .edj extension :)

rephorm.