Re: [E-devel] Continuing the website saga

On Wed, 13 Sep 2006 10:32:00 +0100 Andrew Williams <andy@handyande.co.uk>
babbled:

OK - I have been waiting for the dust to settle (too much email to handle!) :)

I will summarise what I think the WEBSITE needs (regular builds with errors are
orthogonal to the WEBSITE - they can output web pages to be linked to
though...).

The list of what we have and what handles it currently, do they need user auth.

1. news posting - summaries on front page (XSM, auth)
2. content creation and editing (XSM, auth)
3. forums (drupal, auth)
4. bug db/reporting (mantis - i think, auth)
5. on-disk file repo for download (custom PHP)
6. documentation (XSM, auth)
7. webcvs (kevb/webcvs)
8. user uploads of themes etc. (XSM - done by hand, auth)

we, as dan pointed out, need to unify authentication/user info - we can't go
and have all the systems separate. they need to be unified - 1 login. frankly -
i think we need to either look at making XSM do all of the above, or we need to
canvas for a solution that does all of the above for us already. we do not need
to go write our own cms/wiki/whatever we are not in the business of building
"websites". we are in the business of writing "code". the website is a means to
an end.

xsm has served well - and i am happy to keep using it - if we can accomodate
what we need easily. the bits not needing auth can be put in with XSM  - those
not using XSM and needing auth are the problem.

so - we
1. bring xsm up to speed and merge everything in and do all that work
2. we look for an alternative (if one exists)
3. we write our own (oh bloody hell i hope not!)
4. we keep depating this until we all get bored and find something better to do.

so our 2 real possibilities are 1 & 2.

so - let's look at this in parallel. what are our chances of 1. and gettign xsm
to manage things so we can have forums, bug tracker, etc. etc. cleanly (and our
list of issues with xsm)

and what are our alternatives - wiki's with bug trackers (trac?)? trac is very
limiting in the page content land - if u want simple things its fine, but
otherwise is lacking. twiki i understand is better BUT not sure about adding
bug trackers etc. drupal is a monster. what about forums combined with these?...