[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: [E-devel] Continuing the website saga
dan sinclair wrote:
On 12-Sep-06, at 11:37 PM, David Seikel wrote:
On Tue, 12 Sep 2006 21:38:27 -0400 dan sinclair <firstname.lastname@example.org>
1- User forums. The easiest is to grab something previously created
and use that. There are two issues.
a) do we want to migrate data from edevelop, if so, how.
If we do migrate, the easiest thing we can do is to use the same forum
Unless there is a really good reason to switch. Blake, comments on
the current forum software?
Personally, I hate maintaining it.
1. It requires a full Drupal installation. (How many CMSes do you
2. Unless you require logins for all replies (which is fine.. currently
edevelop.org allows anonymous posts.) then you have major spam issues.
3. The theme was also custom made for it, so changes to it will require
4. Drupal being a fairly popular CMS there are a pretty constant stream
of updates for security holes.
5. To get a decent installation of Drupal you have to install a LOT of
modules, which don't always work smoothly with updates. (May not be an
issue for e.org)
6. I have not updated to Drupal 4.7.x because of the customized nature
of the forums.
Aside from that, the forums need a lot of cleanup. It might be best to
start fresh with something else. (no, I will not recommend anything. :P)