Re: [E-devel] Continuing the website saga

dan sinclair wrote:
On 12-Sep-06, at 11:37 PM, David Seikel wrote:

On Tue, 12 Sep 2006 21:38:27 -0400 dan sinclair <zero@perplexity.org>
<snip>
1- User forums. The easiest is to grab something previously created
and use that. There are two issues.
  a) do we want to migrate data from edevelop, if so, how.
If we do migrate, the easiest thing we can do is to use the same forum
software.

Unless there is a really good reason to switch. Blake, comments on the current forum software?

Personally, I hate maintaining it.

1. It requires a full Drupal installation. (How many CMSes do you desire? :))

2. Unless you require logins for all replies (which is fine.. currently edevelop.org allows anonymous posts.) then you have major spam issues.

3. The theme was also custom made for it, so changes to it will require some hacking.

4. Drupal being a fairly popular CMS there are a pretty constant stream of updates for security holes.

5. To get a decent installation of Drupal you have to install a LOT of modules, which don't always work smoothly with updates. (May not be an issue for e.org)

6. I have not updated to Drupal 4.7.x because of the customized nature of the forums.

Aside from that, the forums need a lot of cleanup. It might be best to start fresh with something else. (no, I will not recommend anything. :P)

-Blake