On Mon, 11 Sep 2006 17:15:27 -0400 Michael Jennings <e-devel@kainx.org> babbled:

> On Monday, 11 September 2006, at 13:55:25 (-0700),
> Blake Barnett wrote:
>
> > 3.  Foreign codebase.
> >
> > This is an old problem, where 1 person writes a huge chunk of code
> > and then it's hard for a team to collaborate on it.  If we want to
> > be able to add features to merge the websites (get-e.org and
> > edevelop.org), a move to a standard framework like Rails would make
> > this easier for more people to contribute, add features, make
> > changes, etc.  Personally I can't invest time delving into the code
> > for XSM, I've invested time in Rails because of it's community and
> > standardized way of doing things.
>
> Andy?  Comments?
>
> > Andy told me he didn't have time to do most of these things.
> > However, if the only thing we need is more updates, and a
> > reorganization of information.  By all means, stick with XSM!  Maybe
> > even merge get-e.org.  But edevelop.org provides a lot more than
> > what XSM is capable of.  (And edevelop.org is fairly crappy in my
> > opinion, Drupal has issues too.  Another reason I'd like to work on
> > a redesign.)  Raster himself said he wanted to be able to add
> > additional features to integrate the desktop and the website...
>
> If we (primarily raster) decide that XSM does not do what we need, and
> can/will not do so any time soon, *then* other solutions come into
> play.  Have we reached that point yet?  I personally don't think we've
> heard nearly enough from HandyAndE to be there.

agreed. i currently want to just move xsm locally to e.org - get it all up and
running there and go from there. the question then is - once its up - how to
kickstart life on e.org. we need to involve andy here as we are still using xsm
and moving FROM it to something else will just be painful and xsm needs to show
that it just isn't going to cut it (in the foreseeable future) and then some.

1 big thing we are going to have issues with xsm is forums. that i think will
be a real hassle - the others - are just improvements on xsm as-is or will be
solved in the move (permissions, account creation, speed, dynamic content in
pages - eg downloads).