On Mon, 11 Sep 2006 16:41:45 -0400 Michael Jennings <e-devel@kainx.org> babbled:

> On Monday, 11 September 2006, at 23:29:11 (+0300),
> Hisham Mardam Bey wrote:
>
> > Prior to diving into the "what to use" discussion
>
> See, I don't think that's the conversation we should be having right
> now.
>
> We're using XSM right now.  Unless there is some fundamental flaw in
> XSM that cannot be overcome, we need to stick with it.
>
> So if there are problems with XSM, let's identify them.
>
> 1.  Speed
>
> This will be resolved when we go local, as best I can tell from
> playing with the demo.
>
> 2.  Unintuitive?
>
> Blake says XSM's editing interface is unintuitive.  I can see some
> room for improvement, but straight HTML in a textarea seems pretty
> intuitive to me, albeit not as user-friendly as it could be.
>
> There is a definite advantage to having one of the developers of the
> CMS we're using on our team.  The problem is, everyone speaks in
> abstracts:  "It's painful!"  "I don't like it!"  More specific
> (constructive!) criticisms will ultimately result in a more usable XSM
> as well as a better site for E.
>
> So...anyone want to start with #3?

exactly. this is what i have been trying to get people to focus on - what about
xsm could/should be fixed/improved. what about xsm really (within practical
limits) is not fixable?

3. permissions model - too explicit. hard to grant global acess to 1 user (have
to add page by page).

4. account creation not "self-serve" (enter account name, passwd, email, get
confirmation email - go to given url - acknowledge etc.)

5. forums of edevelop - how would we get xsm to handle that with minimum pain
(don't say we need to write our own forum engine!)

6. (andy already addressed this) automatic page content creation from
disk-contents (eg a dir full of tarballs) using php or something (andy just
needs to turn on php support and we need to lock down access to such pages so
people don't tend to make silly mistakes)