On Mon, 11 Sep 2006 23:29:11 +0300 "Hisham Mardam Bey"
<hisham.mardambey@gmail.com> babbled:

> Hello folks,
>
> This email is not in direct response to any of the previous replies,
> it is the result of a discussion that took place on #edevelop between
> (mainly) shadoi, devilhorns, morlenxus, and myself (HandyAndy was also
> consulted, as he is directly concerned in all of this).
>
> The current situation is that we have e.org (terribly unmaintained),
> get-e.org (mainly user docs, themes, general resources), and edevelop
> (developer information, developer blogs, development news, info about
> development projects).
>
> The suggestion that took place on irc was mainly that we merge the
> three separate efforts into a single entity (e.org) and have the
> corresponding teams work together to do what they do best, maintain
> the content, keep it up to date, and make sure its in tip-top shape
> around the clock.
>
> This thread is currently discussing what to use, and how to do things.
> Our discussion on irc suggested that since we already have a general
> idea about who the team will consist of, we should primarily let that
> team (while keeping everyone up to speed via the mailing list) decide
> on what they would like to use and how things should be done. They
> will be updating e.org the most, so we should cater to what they will
> enjoy the most to make sure they do their jobs as best as possible.
>
> Prior to diving into the "what to use" discussion (which should be a
> new thread), the team, again using the mailing list so we can all chip
> in, should decide on how the new e.org should be organized and who
> will be doing what tasks. The team will coordinate internally and
> decide on who does what (and when) and will make sure that the website
> is always up to date and in mint condition.
>
> Let us try to work positively towards getting this entire matter on
> the right track so we can do more work and less rambling.

agreed - let's find out what need to be fixed on a technical feature level -
then address the best way TO fix it.

let's ASSUME in our discussions that very soon we will have our own box (tm) to
play with thus have complete freedom.

one issues i see in merging them - 2 use xsm (fine) 1. uses drupal (php cms).
edevelop's forums just can't function without dynamic www - xsm itself can't
really scale there. so do we rewrite forum code in php to serve from xsm? do we
have a split-personality site (not very attractive maintenance and design-wise).

how do we merge the efforts into "1 cms" (take that loosely) - or is it ever
possible?