On Mon, 11 Sep 2006 21:52:55 +0300 Eugen Minciu <minciue@gmail.com> babbled:

> On Mon, 11 Sep 2006 14:04:22 -0400
> Michael Jennings <e-devel@kainx.org> wrote:
>
> > On Monday, 11 September 2006, at 15:49:22 (+0300),
> > Eugen Minciu wrote:
> >
> > > There's www.enlightenment.org and www.e-develop.org and
> > > www.get-e.org. This really seems like a far stretch to me, imho
> > > there should be just one www.enlightenment.org
> >
> > edevelop.org is geared toward developers, not users.  I agree that
> > there should not be a get-e.org, but there is.  It's far more
> > political than practical (as to why it exists), but the bottom line is
> > this:  Those who contribute to get-e refuse to contribute to
> > enlightenment.org, and that's their choice.
> >
> > > This CMS you guys are using is ... not so good (to put it
> > > lightly). Generally, one probably doesn't need a CMS but you do need
> > > some sort of way to edit content quickly.
> >
> > It does have the advantage of serving static pages.  I couldn't name
> > any other advantages, though.  Then again, no one has seen fit to
> > provide me (or a number of other developers, from what I gather) with
> > an account, so...
> >

> I can cache pages with Rails (quite easily). That should pretty much give you
> the same speed and is better because it keeps the data in the database too.
>
> We could also do a dozen things which would take a million years to do with
> something like PHP. There is lots of code already written for Rails, which
> can easily be plugged in.

and there is even more code already done in php - as it's much more mature and
wide-spread. most of the cms's and wiki's use it. i don't think this is a
decent argument for OUR NEEDS. this is not about arguing the technical
potential of one language vs another. this is about making e.org more
accessible to 1. readers (re-arrange navigation, pages etc. etc.) and 2. more
accessible to contributors. let's not make this a "my language/cms/whatever is
better than yours" debate.

let's focus on bringing out the REAL ISSUES first - is it simply minor things
that xsm needs added/changed/fixed? will it be fixed by a massive speedup to
the publish process? is it something that xsm will need a mountain of work done
to make it better for us (and resources to do that work are slim) so it might
be better to look at alternate solutions?

so let's focus on what is the real problem - not jumping to "let's write a cms!
let's use wiki X, lets use cms Y".