On Mon, 11 Sep 2006 22:49:19 +0200
Brian Miculcy <morlenxus@gmx.net> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> i think we have three maintainers for now: Shadoi doing the development
> stuff part, me and devilhorns doing the users stuff part. This can be
> easily
> moved to e.org. I think the main problem is that everyone want's to work
> differently on e.org . Shadoi using ruby on rails (whatever this is, i
> have no glue), me using plain html files in cvs and devilhorns... - well
> he can talk for his own. I suggest to simply ask the maintainers, which
> will work on e.org - us three. I accept that Handyandy wanted to talk
> about that, but he don't maintain something. Even the other people here.

<personal view>
Ruby on Rails is a web application development framework. For more info see http://www.rubyonrails.com. It's like the advanced brother of PHP. The really, really advanced brother of PHP. It's not a CMS. It should allow you to build anything you can think of.

You could continue to use XSM. But XSM is not a framework and adding functionality to the site will get harder and harder.

You could use another CMS. Some are really nice to use but most have a bloated interface (look at drupal or mambo or joomla).

You could use a wiki. But you can't do much with a wiki besides hosting documentation. The site should have a screenshot gallery, a place to download files etc. A wiki just isn't cut out for something like that.

You could use another framework or, gasp, PHP or Perl. It's just that Ruby on Rails is familiar to some people. It doesn't really matter how many there are, I don't see dozens of people commiting to XSM. If we build the site and it works we've got what we wanted.

So far I see a lot of people on this list making two confusions.

1) A website is not composed just of documentation. It's not just based on text. You can use HTML for that but if you want to integrate the desktop and the website, if you want to integrate the code in CVS and the website, if you want to integrate bug reports on the website and the mailing list, you can't use HTML.

2) Ruby on Rails is a framework. With it, you develop and deploy a website. From that point on, content in the site can be edited however we choose. It is not a CMS. Just look at the link if you don't know much about RoR.

OK. So it's a framework. Here's what you can do with it.

a) You can develop your site in any way. You can thus edit your textual context in any way ( be it HTML, Textile or something else ). It's not a CMS, you get the choice to implement what you want.

b) You can integrate it with other things. You can use web services to integrate it with the desktop. You can integrate it with the mailing list via ActionMailer.

c) You can develop your own website. It's not just a place where you pile up textual information. You can modify it to suit your own needs. And you have an excellent codebase to begin with (the framework itself).

d) It's good. It's not just my opinion it's the opinion of many other people as well.

e) It makes changing sites easy. If we decide we were wrong we can easily 'change our mind' in code as well, later.
</personal opinion>

I could go on, but I'll stop here. I may be biased I may be wrong. Personally, I don't think that just the people who are maintaining the site should decide this. But they should all agree with the final solution.

Sorry if this is flaming,
Cheers,
Eugen.